Boko Haram: UN Speaks On Attack On Its Facility

The United Nations condemned the attack by suspected members of Boko Haram on its hub in Dikwa, Borno State, northeastern Nigeria.

The UN’s humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, said the jihadist “directly targeted” aid facilities.

No group has claimed responsibility yet but the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) group, which split from mainstream Boko Haram in 2016, is suspected to be behind the attack.

“The attack started last night and, as information is still coming through, I am outraged to hear the premises of several aid agencies and a hospital were reportedly set ablaze or sustained damage,” Kallon said.

“This violent attack will affect the support provided,” Kallon added, without giving details.

Naija News had earlier reported that the insurgents stormed Dikwa on Monday night and asked residents of the community not to run away.

It was gathered that the terrorist who came with heavy machine guns and trucks also took possession of the military Super Camp 9 formation, including high-profile fighting equipment and vehicles.

Military sources that spoke on the incident noted that five soldiers were killed while some Armed Personnel Carriers, operational vehicles and the local military base were burnt by the terrorists.

The group also burnt some public buildings, including the community primary health care centre, local government secretariat, part of Shehu of Dikwa’s palace and the United Nations hub.


Source: naijanews

Your favorite gossip neighbor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: